This time around we’re joined by Selena Deckelmann, who as a Postgres contributor talks to us about some of the burning questions many PHP developers often have about Postgres when considering it as a replacement for the PHP’s defacto-standard relational DB: MySQL.
We ask “Why are so few of the “cool kids” using Postgresql?” and “What are the most important differences between MySQL & Postgres?”, and after a bunch of useful discussion on things like true full text search, complex indexes, PostGIS and Foreign Data Wrappers we end up discussing cider and chickens. Standard.
- Planet Postgres
- Taps - Simple database import/export app
- Multicorn - Unified data access library
- SQL Alchemy
- pgFouine - a PostgreSQL log analyzer
- JSON datatype - Store JSON directly in a Postgres field.
- Redis4You - Postgres 9.1 foreign data wrapper interface
- One man vs. his pet hate in life, Oreo cream - The proper way of solving life’s problems
Discuss this on Reddit.
If you want to listen to the audio version (which might have actually been edited a bit and have better sound quality) then subscribe to our podcast RSS feed in iTunes or whichever podcast app you use.
Alternatively, feel free to listen to download this episode, or listen in-browser:
Get upcoming episode alerts!
Sometimes we actually plan these things more than a few hours ahead of time. On the off-chance we do, shove your email in here and get a reminder to come and watch it live!